We knew that Mazda was on to something by simply test driving their vehicle for our AutoFOCUS web tv show. Mazda vehicles are stylish, comfortable, fuel efficient and perform as good as any vehicle on the market. The sales numbers are in and consumers seem to agree. Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) reported calendar year 2013 total (combined fleet and retail) sales of 283,947, up 2.5% over 2012 and the best result since 2007.
Mazda 6, which is one of my favorites, had an awesome final month of 2013. In fact, December 2013 was the best December for Mazda6 since 2007 and the best month of sales since March of 2013. Additionally, total sales for Mazda6 in 2013 were up 29.3 % over 2012, representing the best year of sales for Mazda6 since 2008.
For the first time, MNAO also released retail-only sales, with 262,970 sales representing an increase of 16.1 percent over 2012, and the best retail-sales year since 1994. Combined December U.S. sales of 22,964 vehicles represented a decrease of 15.7 percent versus last year.
Key December and CY2013 sales notes:
• MNAO achieved its best retail-only sales year since 1994. In 1994, MNAO sold 310,985 vehicles to retail customers.
• MNAO achieved its best combined fleet and retail year of sales since 2007, and second-best year of sales since 1994, with a total of 283,946 vehicles sold.
• Mazda reported sales of 22,964 in December 2013. While this was a decrease of 15.7 percent over last year, it is Mazda's second-best December since 2007.
• SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY accounted for 79 percent of total December sales. On a year-over-year basis, SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY vehicle sales saw a 54 percent increase when compared to 2012, representing 70 percent of total sales for 2013.
• CX-5 continues to appeal to consumers as it posted a 12.8 percent increase over December 2012 with 6,720 vehicles sold. Total 2013 calendar year sales equated to 79,544 units, Mazda's second-best selling vehicle behind Mazda3.
• Mazda3 had its second-best year of sales since 2010 with 104,713 units sold in 2013.
• Mazda3 has been named a finalist for the 2014 North American Car of the Year award. The winner will be announced on January 15, 2014. In January of 2014, Mazda will continue its Game Changer campaign with support for the all-new 2014 Mazda3. This will be first advertising support since the vehicle launched in September of 2013.
• Mazda5 recorded its best month of sales since March of 2013 with 1,167 vehicles sold.
- X-Men: Apocalypse' Trounces Alice With $8.2M Thursday Night